” In the first few years of the Post‘s existence, we ran a campaign aimed at shaming Canadian governments by pointing out all the ways in which the United States was supposedly economically superior.”
By “governments” he really means successive Liberal governments…
“Blame for Canadian mediocrity was placed on our relatively low productivity, which itself — an endless stream of Post op-eds and editorials assured us — was a product of high-tax, low-growth Canadian policies.”
During this period of purposeful propaganda, they even went as far as to run a couple of large photos of each country’s best selling cars, showing the corresponding American car as being more expensive (and therefore the owner more successful) than its comparable in Canada – I am guessing for those subscribers who preferred not to actually read the paper…
None of this is surprising, given that the Post has always been a right wing paper bent on pushing conservative issues in Canada, but it was completely unexpected for them to finally admit it outright. (FOX News, I’m looking at you)
Remember, this is a national newspaper (and part of a giant nationwide network of local newspapers) who systematically tried to alter the political landscape of Canada, all while seemingly reporting the news. Think about that for a minute and then go ahead and watch or read your preferred mainstream news source. When you do, ask yourself this: are they simply presenting the news of the day, or are they presenting you with a hidden editorial agenda designed to alter your vote in some future election?
I’ll try very hard not to gloat about this admission, but it is exactly what I have been telling everyone who would listen for the past 20 years throughout North America. (I’ll elaborate more on this another time) It certainly proves that there is almost always an agenda in play and that only the wariest can escape its effects. We who do are the fortunate ones.
A whole generation of National Post readers have not been so lucky and one wonders how Canada’s political and social landscape was altered as a result.
While he was being so honest, I wish he’d taken a bit more time to remind his readers that the current Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, was the head cheerleader advocating that Canada become “America Jr.” during the 1990′s. I guess we can save that for another day…
His headline goes on to declare that “hard-headed Socalism is destroying Canadian Conservatism”.
May it Rest in Peace…
- Canada’s National Post Deliberately Misleads Readers, Betrays Public Trust
- Canada’s National Post, Journalism, Quebec And Division
- Selling Doubt In Canada Works When It Comes To Climate…
- The Pundit(s) Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks
- Quebec, Stephen Harper And The Decentralization Of Canada
- Tobacco, Climate Change, Denials And Inevitability
- Former Republican Crist’s Endorsement Exposes The UnFair And UnBalanced
- The God The Democrats Forgot
- Yes, US Voters Need to Ponder A Change – In…
- President Obama Has A Mandate
- Justin Trudeau Highlights The Hypocrisy Of Canadian Conservatives
- Stephen Harper, China, And Canadian Resource Sovereignty
- The Prime Minister At Times Incurs Expenses That Are Best…